Medical Definition of anticathexis
: diversion of mental energy by the ego to block undesirable or objectionable impulses of the id from entering the consciousness : suppression of cathexis by the ego Anticathexis causes a displacement from a guilt- or anxiety-provoking object or event to one that does not cause guilt or anxiety.— B. R. Hergerhahn, An Introduction to the History of Psyschology, 2009
— called also countercathexis
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?