Medical Definition of antibiogram
: a collection of data usually in the form of a table summarizing the percent of individual bacterial pathogens susceptible to different antimicrobial agents
Note: An antibiogram is generated after bacteria are isolated (as from a patient's tissues or body fluids) and subjected to laboratory testing.Local hospitals offer more directed help to their physicians by creating antibiograms, or tables that chart the resistance patterns within a specific facility.— Avani Patel, The Chattanooga (Tennessee) Times Free Press, 16 May 1999
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game