Medical Definition of ansamycin
: any of several antibiotics (such as the rifamycins and streptovaricins) that are derived from actinomycetes and share a chemical structure in which nonadjacent positions on an aromatic ring are connected by an aliphatic chain The structural complexity of rifamycin and other ansamycins has made biosynthetic manipulation an attractive route for the generation of pharmacologically useful analogs.— Kenji Watanabe et al., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 19 Aug. 2003
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game