Medical Definition of ansamycin
: any of several antibiotics (such as the rifamycins and streptovaricins) that are derived from actinomycetes and share a chemical structure in which nonadjacent positions on an aromatic ring are connected by an aliphatic chain The structural complexity of rifamycin and other ansamycins has made biosynthetic manipulation an attractive route for the generation of pharmacologically useful analogs.— Kenji Watanabe et al., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 19 Aug. 2003
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game