Medical Definition of annulus fibrosus
: a ring of fibrous tissue (such as that surrounding a heart valve) especially : the outer portion of an intervertebral disk that surrounds the nucleus pulposus and is composed chiefly of layers of collagen fibers Disks between the vertebrae have a soft center—a nucleus pulposus—and a tougher exterior, annulus fibrosus. — Matthew Sturdevant, The Hartford (Connecticut) Courant, 30 May 2010 The nucleus pulposus can bulge out or herniate the anulus fibrosus, but the disk itself does not "slip." — John Palo, Newsday, 21 Feb. 1990
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
- ls ‘Series’ Singular or Plural?
- Triumph, Ovations and Other Words from Ancient Rome
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game