Medical Definition of ankyloglossia
: limited normal movement of the tongue chiefly due to an abnormally shortened frenulum : tongue-tie Technically known as ankyloglossia, it is a usually minor birth defect in which a flap of tissue under the tongue, called the frenum or frenulum, is too short or absent.— C. Claiborne Ray, The New York Times, 26 Oct. 2004
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game