Medical Definition of ankyloglossia
: limited normal movement of the tongue chiefly due to an abnormally shortened frenulum : tongue-tie Technically known as ankyloglossia, it is a usually minor birth defect in which a flap of tissue under the tongue, called the frenum or frenulum, is too short or absent.— C. Claiborne Ray, The New York Times, 26 Oct. 2004
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game