Medical Definition of ankle-brachial index
: a measure of the difference in the systolic blood pressure of the arm and ankle calculated by dividing the blood pressure of the ankle by that of the arm Mercy Medical Center-Dubuque will host an ankle-brachial index screening for peripheral artery disease. — The Telegraph Herald (Dubuque, Iowa), 30 Apr. 2007
Note: A normal ankle-brachial index is considered to be between .95 and 1.2 or .9 and 1.3, with a number below .9 indicating narrowing or blockage of leg arteries.—abbreviation ABI
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?