Medical Definition of amniotomy
: intentional rupture of the amnion chiefly to induce or facilitate labor Regardless of the common practice of performing amniotomy in most labors, there seems to be little evidence of its effectiveness in preventing or treating abnormal progress of labor. — Watson A. Bowes, Jr., in Management of Labor and Delivery, 1997
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game