Medical Definition of amnionitis
: inflammation of the amnion typically due to infection Organisms that inhabit the cervix, vagina, or rectum can spread upward into the amniotic cavity through intact or ruptured membranes and cause amnionitis. — Richard A. Polan et al., in Avery's Diseases of the Newborn, 2005 also : chorioamnionitis Oligohydramnios is frequently associated with chorioamnionitis (amnionitis), an infection of the membranes that surround the baby … — Sandy Jones and Marcie Jones, Great Expectations: Your All-In-One Resource for Pregnancy & Childbirth, 2004
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game