Medical Definition of amnioinfusion
: the introduction of sterile saline or lactated Ringer's solution into the amniotic cavity via the uterine cervix typically during labor especially to increase the volume of amniotic fluid Amnioinfusion relieves variable decelerations of the fetal heart, which are common after rupture of the membranes and are caused by intermittent compression of the umbilical cord during contractions.— Bonnie Ennis Cox, Childbirth Instructor, Spring 1991
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game