Medical Definition of amnioinfusion
: the introduction of sterile saline or lactated Ringer's solution into the amniotic cavity via the uterine cervix typically during labor especially to increase the volume of amniotic fluid Amnioinfusion relieves variable decelerations of the fetal heart, which are common after rupture of the membranes and are caused by intermittent compression of the umbilical cord during contractions.— Bonnie Ennis Cox, Childbirth Instructor, Spring 1991
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game