Medical Definition of amnioinfusion
: the introduction of sterile saline or lactated Ringer's solution into the amniotic cavity via the uterine cervix typically during labor especially to increase the volume of amniotic fluid Amnioinfusion relieves variable decelerations of the fetal heart, which are common after rupture of the membranes and are caused by intermittent compression of the umbilical cord during contractions.— Bonnie Ennis Cox, Childbirth Instructor, Spring 1991
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game