Medical Definition of amaurosis fugax
: temporary partial or complete loss of sight in one eye that is typically caused by an abrupt reduction in blood flow (ischemia) to an eye The occurrence of amaurosis fugax should raise the suspicion of disease in the internal carotid artery, especially when the patient is a man over 40 years old with a bruit below the angle of the jaw.— Jean-Claude Gautier, The New England Journal of Medicine, 5 Aug. 1993
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?