Medical Definition of alternans
: alternation in the pattern of activity (such as that produced by the heartbeat) Her electrocardiogram showed small spikes that alternated in shape—a classic sign of cardiac tamponade called electrical alternans.— Tony Dajer, Discover, March 2002 The noninvasive detection of an increased risk of ventricular fibrillation may be made possible by the identification of T-wave alternans, a beat-to-beat fluctuation in the area under the T wave that is associated with an increased risk of lethal arrhythmia.— James E. Muller and Richard L. Verrier, The New England Journal of Medicine, 15 Feb. 1996 — see pulsus alternans
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game