Medical Definition of alteplase
: a recombinant form of tissue plasminogen activator that is used to prevent damage to heart muscle following a heart attack and to reduce neurological damage following ischemic stroke Intravenous thrombolytic treatment with alteplase, initiated within 3 hours after the onset of symptoms, is the only medical therapy currently available for acute ischemic stroke.— Werner Hacket et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 25 Sept. 2008
Note: Alteplase is marketed under the trademark Activase.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game