Medical Definition of alteplase
: a recombinant form of tissue plasminogen activator that is used to prevent damage to heart muscle following a heart attack and to reduce neurological damage following ischemic stroke Intravenous thrombolytic treatment with alteplase, initiated within 3 hours after the onset of symptoms, is the only medical therapy currently available for acute ischemic stroke.— Werner Hacket et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 25 Sept. 2008
Note: Alteplase is marketed under the trademark Activase.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?