Medical Definition of alphavirus
1 capitalized : a genus of single-stranded RNA viruses of the family Togaviridae that are transmitted by arthropods and especially mosquitoes and that include the Mayaro virus, Semliki Forest virus, Sindbis virus, and the causative agents of chikungunya and equine encephalitis
2 plural alphaviruses : any virus of the genus Alphavirus Although naturally transmitted by mosquitoes, the encephalitic alphaviruses are also highly infectious by aerosol.— David R. Franz et al., The Journal of the American Medical Association, 6 Aug. 1997
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?