align·er | \ ə-ˈlī-nər\
Medical Definition of aligner
: a clear, plastic orthodontic appliance that is molded to fit over the teeth and is used to correct their alignment The aligners are made in a series: When the patient's teeth have been moved a tiny bit by one aligner, the next aligner goes in and moves them a bit further.— Fred Reed, The Washington Times, 15 May 2003
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game