Medical Definition of alexithymia
: inability to identify and express or describe one's feelings
Note: People with alexithymia typically display a lack of imaginative thought, have difficulty distinguishing between emotions and bodily sensations, and engage in logical externally oriented thought.Individuals with high levels of alexithymia are usually aware of their emotional arousal; however, they have difficulty differentiating emotions and verbalizing them.— John S. Ogrodniczuk et al., The American Journal of Psychotherapy, 2004
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game