Medical Definition of alcaligenes
1 capitalized : a genus of gram-negative motile bacteria that do not ferment carbohydrates and are aerobes or facultative anaerobes, commonly occur in water and soil, and include some (as A. faecalis) that are found in the intestines of vertebrates including humans and are usually harmless but have been associated with opportunistic infections
2 plural alcaligenes : an organism of the genus Alcaligenes
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game