variants: or alanine transaminase
Medical Definition of alanine aminotransferase
: an enzyme which promotes transfer of an amino group from glutamic acid to pyruvic acid and which when present in abnormally high levels in the blood is a diagnostic indication of liver disease or damage The concentrations of some of these enzymes, such as the readily measured alanine aminotransferase, are frequently elevated in the blood of patients with active hepatitis.— Thomas H. Maugh II, Science, 28 Nov. 1980 —abbreviation ALT
— called also glutamic-pyruvic transaminase
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game