Medical Definition of adrenoceptor
Note: Adrenoceptors mediate certain physiological responses (such as vasodilation or vasoconstriction and smooth muscle relaxation or contraction) when bound by epinephrine or norepinephrine as part of the sympathetic nervous system.They studied how norepinephrine stimulates beta-receptors, a class of adrenoceptors that mediates the release of cyclic adenosine monophosphate inside the nerve cell.— Elliot S. Gershon and Ronald O. Rieder, Scientific American, September 1992 Thus, in theory, adrenoreceptor agonists which are widely used in the management of obstructive airway diseases such as asthma may lead to mucus plugging of the airways. — Richard W. Costello, in Respiratory Infections in Allergy and Asthma, 2003
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game