Medical Definition of adiponectin
: a protein produced and secreted by fat cells that is normally abundant in the blood plasma but has reduced expression in those with obesity and insulin resistance Scientists now know that fat makes huge amounts of adiponectin—more than any other protein secreted by fat. The hormone increases insulin sensitivity, helping cells process sugar more effectively.— Tina Hesman, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 27 July 2004
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game