Medical Definition of adiponectin
: a protein produced and secreted by fat cells that is normally abundant in the blood plasma but has reduced expression in those with obesity and insulin resistance Scientists now know that fat makes huge amounts of adiponectin—more than any other protein secreted by fat. The hormone increases insulin sensitivity, helping cells process sugar more effectively.— Tina Hesman, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 27 July 2004
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game