Medical Definition of adiponectin
: a protein produced and secreted by fat cells that is normally abundant in the blood plasma but has reduced expression in those with obesity and insulin resistance Scientists now know that fat makes huge amounts of adiponectin—more than any other protein secreted by fat. The hormone increases insulin sensitivity, helping cells process sugar more effectively.— Tina Hesman, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 27 July 2004
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?