Medical Definition of adefovir
: an antiviral drug that is taken orally in the form of its diester C20H32N5O8P in the treatment of hepatitis B Adefovir is very effective in lamivudine-resistant HBV infection.— Jules L. Dienstag, The New England Journal of Medicine, 2 Oct. 2008 Current treatment options for chronic hepatitis include interferon, given by injection, and two drugs administered orally, lamivudine and adefovir dipivoxil. — The Baltimore (Maryland) Sun, 1 Apr. 2005
Note: Adefovir is a nucleotide analog acting against hepatitis B virus by inhibiting reverse transcriptase. It is marketed under the trademark Hepsera.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game