acute myelogenous leukemianoun
variants: or acute myeloid leukemia also acute myeloblastic leukemia or acute myelocytic leukemia
Medical Definition of acute myelogenous leukemia
: myelogenous leukemia of rapid onset and progression that is marked by an abnormal increase in the number of myeloblasts especially in bone marrow and blood, that is characterized by symptoms similar to those of acute lymphoblastic leukemia, and that occurs chiefly during adulthood —abbreviation AML
— called also acute nonlymphocytic leukemia— compare chronic myelogenous leukemia
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?