Medical Definition of acute alcoholism
: alcohol poisoning resulting from the usually rapid, excessive consumption of excessive alcoholic beverages that is characterized by depression of central nervous system functioning leading to slurred speech, muscle incoordination, and drowsiness or loss of consciousness
Note: Acute alcoholism is typically accompanied by dehydration, nausea, and vomiting, and sometimes results in coma or respiratory failure.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game