Medical Definition of acute alcoholism
: alcohol poisoning resulting from the usually rapid, excessive consumption of excessive alcoholic beverages that is characterized by depression of central nervous system functioning leading to slurred speech, muscle incoordination, and drowsiness or loss of consciousness
Note: Acute alcoholism is typically accompanied by dehydration, nausea, and vomiting, and sometimes results in coma or respiratory failure.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game