Medical Definition of acromioplasty
: surgical cutting, shaping, and smoothing of the front or lower surface of the acromion to relieve compression of the rotator cuff between the acromion and head of the humerus when the arm is raised overhead In a procedure called acromioplasty, surgeons shave away some of the bone to make more room for the rotator cuff, in hopes of alleviating pain and preventing tears.— Robert Langreth, Forbes, 27 Oct. 2003
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game