Medical Definition of acromioplasty
: surgical cutting, shaping, and smoothing of the front or lower surface of the acromion to relieve compression of the rotator cuff between the acromion and head of the humerus when the arm is raised overhead In a procedure called acromioplasty, surgeons shave away some of the bone to make more room for the rotator cuff, in hopes of alleviating pain and preventing tears.— Robert Langreth, Forbes, 27 Oct. 2003
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?