Medical Definition of aconitase
: an enzyme occurring in many animal and plant tissues that accelerates the conversion of citric acid first into aconitic acid and then into isocitric acid during the Krebs cycle
Note: Aconitase also functions in regulating levels of iron in the cell by inhibiting the formation of ferritin. It has an active site of iron and sulfur.… recent studies have shown that aconitase is an early target of free radical damage in stressed cells because of the presence of an iron-sulfur cluster in the enzyme. — Kyra J. Cowan, in Functional Metabolism: Regulation and Adaptation, 2004
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game