Medical Definition of acitretin
: a retinoid drug C21H26O3 that is the principal metabolite of etretinate and is taken orally in the treatment of severe psoriasis Acitretin, although less effective as monotherapy, approaches methotrexate and cyclosporine in efficacy when combined with PUVA or UVB phototherapy.— Lynne Lamberg, The Journal of the American Medical Association, 4 June 2003
Note: Acitretin is marketed under the trademark Soriatane.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game