Medical Definition of acetobacter
1 capitalized : a genus of aerobic ellipsoidal to rod-shaped bacteria (family Pseudomonadaceae) that grow in the presence of alcohol, secure energy by oxidizing organic compounds to organic acids (as alcohol to acetic acid), and are important especially in the production of vinegar
2 : a bacterium of the genus Acetobacter
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game