Medical Definition of acetin
a : one C3H5(OH)2C2H3O2 containing only one acetate group that is used chiefly in the manufacture of explosives
— called also monoacetin
b : one C3H5(OH)(C2H3O2)2 containing two acetate groups that is used chiefly as a plasticizer and solvent
— called also diacetin
c : one C3H5(C2H3O2)3 containing three acetate groups that is used chiefly as a plasticizer and solvent and as a fixative in perfumes
— called also triacetin
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game