Medical Definition of accessory cell
: any of various cells in addition to the T cells and B cells that help to generate an immune response specifically : antigen-presenting cell T lymphocytes cannot recognize free antigen but are dependent on antigen presentation by accessory cells. — Adriano Fontana et al., Nature, 19 Jan. 1984
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game