Medical Definition of acanthocyte
: an abnormal red blood cell having several unevenly spaced and variously shaped cytoplasmic projections with blunt tips The presence of acanthocytes implies advanced liver disease and carries a worse prognosis.— Bruce R. Bacon et al., Comprehensive Clinical Hepatology, 2006
— called also spur cell
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game