Medical Definition of abies
1 capitalized : a genus (family Pinaceae) of evergreen trees of temperate regions of the northern hemisphere that comprise the true firs (as the balsam fir), are characterized by flattish leaves, smooth circular leaf scars, and erect cones, and are valued for their wood
2 plural abies : any tree of the genus Abies : fir
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game