Medical Definition of abdominal hernia
: any of various hernias (as an inguinal hernia, umbilical hernia, or spigelian hernia) in which an anatomical part (as a section of the intestine) protrudes through an opening, tear, or weakness in the abdominal wall musculature
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game