Medical Definition of abacavir
: an antiviral drug taken orally in the form of its sulfate (C14H18N6O)2·H2SO4 in combination with other antiretroviral drugs to treat HIV infection
Note: Abacavir is a synthetic nucleoside analog that acts by inhibiting reverse transcriptase. It causes potentially serious hypersensitivity reactions in a small percentage of patients.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- What's that Smell?! Quiz Take the quiz
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game