Medical Definition of Wood's lamp
: a lamp for producing ultraviolet radiation in which a filter made of nickel-containing glass is used to block all light having a wavelength above 365 nanometers and which is used especially to detect various skin conditions (as some fungus infections) by the fluorescence induced in the affected areas by ultraviolet radiation
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game