Medical Definition of Somogyi unit
: a unit that is a measure of the hydrolyzing action of serum amylase on starch and that is equivalent to the amount of enzyme in 100 milliliters of blood serum required to produce 1 milligram of glucose when acting on a standard starch solution under defined conditions
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game