Medical Definition of Sindbis virus
: a virus of the genus Alphavirus (species Sindbis virus) that is transmitted by mosquitoes especially of the genus Culex and that causes a febrile disease which is marked by joint pain, rash, and malaise and which occurs in parts of Africa, the Middle East, Europe, Asia, and Australia The Sindbis virus, named for the town in Egypt where it was identified 50 years ago, has been found to target and kill tumor cells in mice.— Frank D. Roylance, The Chicago Tribune, 15 Feb. 2004 Recombinant Sindbis viruses and replicons have been useful as vectors for high level foreign gene expression, but the cytopathic effects of viral replication have limited their use to transient studies.— Eugene V. Agapov et al., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 27 Oct. 1998
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game