Semliki Forest virusnoun
Medical Definition of Semliki Forest virus
: a virus of the genus Alphavirus (species Semliki Forest virus) that was isolated from mosquitoes in a Ugandan forest and is capable of infecting humans and laboratory animals Alphavirus infections, including Semliki Forest virus … and Sindbis virus …, have been at the forefront of studies of virus-induced cell death and provide important tractable model systems to study many aspects of virus pathogenesis. — Gerald Barry et al., Journal of Virology,, July 2010
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Registering the Politics of 'Register'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/11/19
- Minding 'Never mind' and 'Nevermind'
- A Brief on 'Brief' and 'Debrief'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game