Semliki Forest virusnoun
Medical Definition of Semliki Forest virus
: a virus of the genus Alphavirus (species Semliki Forest virus) that was isolated from mosquitoes in a Ugandan forest and is capable of infecting humans and laboratory animals Alphavirus infections, including Semliki Forest virus … and Sindbis virus …, have been at the forefront of studies of virus-induced cell death and provide important tractable model systems to study many aspects of virus pathogenesis. — Gerald Barry et al., Journal of Virology,, July 2010
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game