variants: also Schiff's base
Medical Definition of Schiff base
: any of a class of bases of the general formula RR′C=NR″ that are obtained typically by condensation of an aldehyde or ketone with a primary amine (as aniline) with elimination of water, that usually polymerize readily if made from aliphatic aldehydes, and that are used chiefly as intermediates in organic synthesis and in some cases as dyes
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?