Medical Definition of Philadelphia chromosome
: an abnormally short chromosome 22 that is found in the hematopoietic cells of persons affected with chronic myelogenous leukemia and lacks the major part of its long arm which has usually undergone translocation to chromosome 9 A bone marrow test the next day revealed a genetic abnormality called the Philadelphia chromosome that is the signature of chronic myelogenous leukemia, or C.M.L., a blood cell cancer that in the last decade has been transformed from ultimately fatal to nearly always treatable …— Jane E. Brody, The New York Times, 19 Jan. 2010 Scientists have continued to hammer away at the so-called Philadelphia chromosome, a shortened chromosome 22. They now know that it results when chromosomes 9 and 22 exchange genetic material.— Nathan Seppa, Science News, 11 Dec. 1999
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game