Pfan·nen·stiel incision | \ ˈ(p)fän-ən-ˌs(h)tēl-, ˈfan-\
variants: also Pfannenstiel's incision \ -s(h)tēlz- \
Medical Definition of Pfannenstiel incision
: a long, horizontal abdominal incision made below the line of the pubic hair and above the mons veneris down to and through the sheath of the rectus abdominis muscles but not the muscles themselves which are separated in the direction of their fibers The presence of a Pfannenstiel incision is common in many of these patients because of a previous cesarean section or pelvic surgery … — Edward L. Felix, Mastery of Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgery, 3rd edition, 2009
— called also bikini incision
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game