Medical Definition of Peyer's patch
: any of numerous large oval patches of closely aggregated nodules of lymphoid tissue in the walls of the small intestine especially in the ileum that partially or entirely disappear in advanced life and in typhoid fever become the seat of ulcers which may perforate the intestines
— called also Peyer's gland
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game