Medical Definition of Orthomyxoviridae
: a family of single-stranded RNA viruses that have a spherical or filamentous virion with numerous surface glycoprotein projections, a helical nucleocapsid, and a genome consisting of six to eight segments of RNA and that include the viruses causing influenza A, influenza B, and influenza C and a genus (Thogotovirus) of tick-borne viruses that occasionally infect humans
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game