Medical Definition of Ogilvie's syndrome
: distension of the colon that is similar to that occurring as a consequence of bowel obstruction but in which no physical obstruction exists and that occurs especially in seriously ill individuals and as a complication of abdominal surgery
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?