Medical Definition of Nernst equation
: an equation used to find the potential difference across a semipermeable membrane through which an ion diffuses between solutions where its concentration differs and that for a temperature of 37°C (98.6°F) gives a result in millivolts equal to plus or minus 61.5 times the logarithm of the ratio of the concentration of the ion on one side of the membrane to its concentration on the other
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game