Medical Definition of Lactobacillaceae
: a large family of rod-shaped or spherical gram-negative bacteria that are usually nonmotile and require little or no oxygen, that do not form spores, that require carbohydrates for growth and ferment them chiefly to lactic acid, and that include the lactic acid bacteria — see lactobacillus
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game