variants: or Korsakoff's syndrome also Korsakoff psychosis or Korsakoff's psychosis
Medical Definition of Korsakoff syndrome
: a chronic memory disorder that is caused by brain damage related to a severe deficiency of thiamine (as that associated with alcoholism or malnutrition) and is characterized by impaired ability to form new memories and by memory loss for which the patient often attempts to compensate through confabulation
Note: Korsakoff syndrome is frequently preceded by Wernicke's encephalopathy.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game