Medical Definition of Hymenolepis
: a genus (the type of the family Hymenolepididae) of small taenioid tapeworms including numerous comparatively innocuous parasites of birds and mammals that usually require insect intermediate hosts but are able in some cases (as in H. nana of humans) to complete the life cycle in a single host by means of an oncosphere which hatches in the intestine, invades a villus, and there develops into a cysticercoid which ultimately escapes and develops into an adult tapeworm in the lumen of the intestine
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game