Medical Definition of Hominoidea
1 in some classifications : a major division of the order Primates segregating Homo and related fossil forms from the great apes
2 : a superfamily of the primate suborder Anthropoidea including recent hominids, gibbons, and pongids together with extinct ancestral and related forms (as of the genera Proconsul and Dryopithecus) as distinguished from the lower Old World monkeys — compare cercopithecidae
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?