Medical Definition of Ehrlichia
: a genus of gram-negative nonmotile bacteria that are transmitted chiefly by tick bites and are intracellular parasites of humans and animals infecting the cytoplasm especially of circulating white blood cells (such as monocytes and granulocytes)
Note: Certain members of the genus Ehrlichia (such as E. equi and E. phagocytophila) are now typically placed in the genus Anaplasma.— see ehrlichiosis
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game