Medical Definition of Ehrlichia
: a genus of gram-negative nonmotile bacteria that are transmitted chiefly by tick bites and are intracellular parasites of humans and animals infecting the cytoplasm especially of circulating white blood cells (such as monocytes and granulocytes)
Note: Certain members of the genus Ehrlichia (such as E. equi and E. phagocytophila) are now typically placed in the genus Anaplasma.— see ehrlichiosis
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
- ls ‘Series’ Singular or Plural?
- Triumph, Ovations and Other Words from Ancient Rome
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game