Medical Definition of Diospyros
: a genus of trees and shrubs of the ebony family (Ebenaceae) with hard fine wood, oblong leaves, and small bell-shaped flowers that includes an American persimmon (D. virginiana) whose bark has been used as an astringent
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?