Medical Definition of Dinoflagellata
: a division or phylum of chiefly marine unicellular plantlike protists that comprise the dinoflagellates, that are typically enclosed in a cellulose envelope, that have one transverse flagellum running in a groove about the body and one posterior flagellum extending out from a similar median groove, and that include luminescent forms, important elements of marine food chains, and most of the the flagellates that cause red tide (such as members of the genus Gymnodinium)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game